Thursday, March 31, 2011

Liz's Memory

Yesterday was the second anniversary of the death of my dear friend Liz.  I write this post not because I'm sad (because that's not the point of this blog) but because Liz was one of the happiest people I knew, so stay with me, I'll get there.

Liz and I were very close in college but our relationship started in high school as she was a year below me at Garrison (even though she was actually older than me).  Liz was the only friend of mine who knew me both in high school and college, we had a special bond because of that.  She was one of my little sisters in my sorority and was destined for great things.  She died suddenly during the spring of her senior year, I won't get into the details but it was a huge shock to everyone that knew her.

I still miss Liz a lot, I wish I could have shared some of life after college with her - I think she would have really enjoyed it.  Liz was the first person, other than my grandfather, that I was close to that I have lost in my life.  It was really hard when she died.  But in the past two years I have grown to understand that death is a part of life and as hard as it is, it happens, and we must learn and grow from it.

As I said earlier, Liz was one of the happiest people I know.  She knew just about everyone at Sewanee and was always so positive and friendly to anyone she met.  We used to have so much fun in college, on Sundays after a crazy weekend, sitting around with a bunch of friends doing stupid things and laughing until our stomachs hurt.  One of my favorite memories of Liz happened after our annual sorority bowling ball.  We were sitting in our sorority living room chatting and suddenly Liz just decides to dump a cup of water on my friend Sara's head.  Sara, rush chair at the time, turned around and said, "you will never be rush chair"...and alas Liz was rush chair the next year.  I still think of that night and have to giggle a bit.

And that is why thinking of Liz's memory makes me smile.  Two years later I have grown to accept that she is gone and focused on trying to keep her memory alive.  Liz's memory will always make me smile because she was always smiling and laughing herself.  As I think I've written before, I think it's important to talk about death and keep the person's spirit alive.  Sometimes it can be hard and awkward but it is still important.  I try to carry Liz's spirit with me.  Her enthusiastic energy and positive personality remind me to always stay positive no matter what.

Liz was a wonderful friend to me for 7 years.  I always smile when I think about her up in heaven and there is many a time when I have asked for her help.  It gives the Sewanee angel a whole new meaning.





No comments:

Post a Comment