Monday, March 21, 2011

Daffodils

Good Morning!  I hope you enjoyed the lovely the spring weekend!  As I was running this weekend I noticed lots of daffodils coming up and it made me ever so happy.  Daffodils are one of my most favorite flowers.  They represent so many things, the coming of spring being the most commonly known.  They represent rebirth, new beginnings, honesty, and truth.  One of the reasons I love them so much is because they just pop up naturally, for the most part they're not planted or planned.  To this end, they come up at just the right time, reminding us that spring is upon us.

Although all of these reasons make me love daffodils ever so much, there is another reason why daffodils always make me smile.  My grandfather.  They were his favorite flower.  At his funeral all of the grandchildren put a daffodil on his grave because they were his favorites.  My grandfather loved many things in nature; he was an avid bird watcher, took trips around the world to see animals, and could tell you where to get the best melon on the eastern shore.  That said, daffodils have always been the thing that remind me of him the most.  Every spring when I see the first daffodil bloom I can't help but smile and think of him.  

It makes me happy to have this special reminder of him.  It gives me strength to see daffodils because it reminds me that my grandfather is out there somewhere watching over me.  Daffodils keep my grandfather's legacy alive.  I know I will always think of my granddad every spring, with new beginnings and rebirth, daffodils also remind me of the great life my grandfather led.

I believe remembering those who've left this world is an important part of keeping them alive.  Death, although always sad and heartbreaking, is a part of life.  I believe we honor those who've died by continuing to have them in our lives, by remembering their legacy and passing it on to the next generation.  That way their spirit will never die.  Do you have something that reminds you of someone you've lost?  Does it make you happy to see that thing and think of the time and memories you've spent with that person?  What do you hope to be the thing that people see and think of you when you leave this world?  

Sorry this post is a bit deep for a Monday morning, hope it gives you something to think about during the week ahead!



No comments:

Post a Comment