Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"A Good Book has no Ending"

Good morning!  Last night as I was thinking about something to write for this mornings post I pulled out the three books I bought yesterday and thought, why don't I write about reading?  So I thought I would write about my favorite book and went over to my bookshelf to figure out what that book may be.  Unfortunately nothing stood out so much that I could give it the honor of favorite book and alas, this post turned into the joy of reading.

I love love to read, but that was not always the case.  As a middle schooler I was not a very big reader.  I didn't really like being told what to read by my teachers very much.  The first Harry Potter came out and I was still skeptical of the fad that it was.  Then one day in 7th grade I decided to see what everybody loved about Harry Potter and after a few chapters, I was hooked.

A decade later I still adore Harry Potter, but I also adore the art of reading.  I love the feeling when you can't put down a good book, when the world seems to melt away and you get lost in the adventures of the writer.  I love sitting by the beach, soaking up the sun, and reading the day away.  Or curling up by the fire, cozy under a warm blanket, reading and reading.

Another part of books that make me happy are the ability to share and discuss them.  Books can bring people together, help them see common bonds.  They help us grow and explore interests and ideas we may not have had before.  They give us the key into a life, a story, or a theory that we may have otherwise been unaware of.

Sooo that's my soapbox on my love of books and reading...now I just need to figure out what my favorite book is!  I guess I do have a multitude of favorite books.  I tend to be the type of person that likes to jump from different genre's, a fantasy, then a love story, historical fiction, then a funny, simple book...so maybe I can have lot's of favorites?  Either way...that will be another post.

What's your favorite book?  What book are you reading right now?  Currently I just picked up Zeitoun by Dave Eggers.

Happy March everyone, don't forget to say rabbit rabbit!

No comments:

Post a Comment