Monday, April 11, 2011

Buckingham: Mt. Pleasant Edition

I had a wonderful time down in Virginia this weekend...although the weather didn't exactly cooperate.  As I wrote on Thursday, I went down to my grandfather's house in Buckingham, VA to spend a few days in the country.  It was so nice to just unplug for a few days and truly relax - no phones, no computers, just conversations and stories.  Some days I feel like we miss that these days, everyone is so connected that organic and natural stories go by the wayside - if there's a lull in the conversation everyone goes to check their phone.  

Anyway, on Friday we spent the morning at Mt Pleasant, our family farm that has been in our family since 1745.  If I could go back in time I would for sure come back to Mt. Pleasant when it was a working farm and the house was still there.  Back then my grandfather's family all lived there - his father was one of seven siblings and five of them lived their almost their whole lives.  In 1984 there was a fire and the beautiful brick house burned to the ground.  I've heard many stories about the house and the family and all of the history and stories that lived inside the house, to have seen it would have been a site.  But what can you do.  It's so neat to hear the stories and the history that came before me, my grandfather has so much knowledge of our family.

I did have a chance to snap a few photos while I was there (although I would have loved to have had an SLR for this occasion) so you can get a feel for what I'm talking about.  Today the farm is a tree farm and my grandfather still does most of the upkeep.

Cool farm equipment


Family Cemetery







No comments:

Post a Comment